Had a good meeting this morning with David Bradwell the Refugee Coordinator for Scottish Faiths Action for Refugees and Sabine Chalmers, project development worker.
A few months ago we sent a huge amount of things for refugees in Calais and a number of us wanted to find out what more we could do. A few of us met but found it really difficult to find ways to respond. Some of us put our names down to host refugees but there are so few coming in from Syria that most of the 5000 in Scotland who have volunteered aren't needed.
But there are a whole lot of other refugees and after today we have a number of options which we can discuss in a week or so.
- There is befriending and mentoring
- We can host visits over a weekend for a group of refugees to become more integrated and establish good relationships
- We can work with Christian Aid in giving to particular projects
- We can connect with Local Authority and ask what we can offer
- We can connect with congregations who are already involved such as St Rollox and the Gorbals and seek to offer volunteering or other help
- We can offer respite breaks
So a whole lot of stuff we can discuss so if anyone is interested in exploring this further and choose to do one thing I"m going to suggest Thursday 14th April in the church at 7pm for no more than an hour.